Thursday 26 September 2013

So-called friends and why you don't need them


One of the things which I have barely seen discussed as much as romantic relationships are friendships.

We spend a lot of our time chasing after the dream of finding our own Price Charming (or for the more mature ladies amongst us, the Perfect Man), and yet we often forget about the other important relationships in our lives, which often tend to last longer than our dating partners.

Over the past few years I have struggled with many different types of friendships and come across people who I called my best friends, but who just wanted to see me cry and drown in my own pity. I have also come across those people who trusted me with everything, until one day they simply got bored and walked away.

This post is about those "so-called" friends who don't really have our best interests at heart, and why we need to move away from such friendships.


Friends are the family we choose.

This is a popular quote that is often thrown around when we get emotional about our friendships and realise that sometimes we can relate more to our friends (and vice versa) than our families.

But if we choose who we give entry to into our lives, isn't it also our responsibility to choose who stays and who leaves?

My best friend a few years ago was someone I didn't even like much. We got along at times, but while I tip-toed around making sure that I didn't upset her - as she had a tendency to go off in a strop and would just stop talking to me - she simply did what she liked.

I was good friends with her for 7 years, during which my self-esteem hit the absolute bottom because she would tell me how I'm not pretty, and how I would never be successful etc. She would exclude me from parties, meet ups and even conversations and I never felt wanted unless I was playing the role of the maidservant.

We looked similar and everyone noticed it. But she would make a joke out of it and insist that it was an insult for someone to say that she looked like me.

It hurt and I just smiled.

Then, a few years ago, I started realising that even though I claimed that she was my best friend, I never actually liked her.


I didn't trust her and I wasn't myself around her.

That was the wake-up call. I didn't break our friendship (or so-called friendship anyway) but I simply started making other friends. As I got to know more people, I realised that there were many others who I had never spoken to but who I could be more genuine with.

There are 7 billion people on this planet. We are never going to be able to meet all of them. But if we stay 'stuck' in one friendship, we may never have the opportunity to actually meet someone who we could be real friends with. Move on and meet new people whenever you have the chance to - the next person you meet could be the one you 'click' with.

When I was going through my break-up, my ex-best friend didn't even bother calling me to ask if I was okay in the 4 months after I told her what had happened. But it didn't matter because I had found my real best friend, who was there for me on the countless days when I just wanted someone to hug me and give me a shoulder to cry on.

The signs that I noticed which proved that my ex-best friend wasn't a true friend were:

  • I was always the one making the initiative to meet up with her/contact her 
  • She never kept her promises to call me
  • She didn't understand that I was going through a tough time and I needed someone there for me
  • Whenever we talked it was always about her - how she was doing, what had happened with her boyfriend/family/friends etc
  • I had to think twice before I said/did something in front of her
  • I felt like I had to neglect my own feelings to make sure hers were fulfilled
What you need from in a friend is the ability to be who you are unashamedly. If you feel yourself pretending just to keep the world turning how they expect it to, get out. The relationship is not helping you in any way.

While friendships are about give and take, you should only take which mirrors what you give. It takes two people, just like in a romantic relationship, to cultivate a friendship and if they are not giving you what you need, you need to break free.

This leads me onto friendships which, while you have changed and developed, haven't grown with you.

Don't hold onto relationships which are past their expiry date simply because the substance tasted amazing in the past. 

This means that you have to realise that you simply outgrow some friendships and it is time to let go of those friends who you may have known for the past decade, but who no longer have a 'fit' into your life. These are friends who you shared your first ice-cream or Barbie doll with, but who have taken a different route to you.

Holding onto friendships in desperation is the same as holding onto a failed relationship - the energy you are using up in just sustaining this is harming you.

You need to accept that people do change and sometimes the changes mean that you cannot be compatible any more. The bff or friends-till-we-die scenario is out of the window.

It is time to realise that YOU need to be your own best friend. That way you are best friends with someone who trust completely, who understands you perfectly and who believes in you. If this doesn't apply to you then you have found your flaw. I have struggled over my life to trust myself and to realise that if I don't believe in myself, no-one else can.

I am now working on trusting myself more. This means being accepting of my mistakes and agreeing with my decisions. I have learnt how to forgive myself for the past and am learning how to be more hopeful of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment